About a daybed?
A day bed is a half-bed-half-couch furniture that can serve one or both functions.
It is usually the size of a bed, mostly a twin-size bed but has three of its sides shielded as opposed to a bed frame that usually has the headboard and footboard.
Being the size of a twin bed, the day bed is spacious and if well decorated presents elegance and style.
|1||VECELO Classic Metal Daybed Frame Multifunctional Mattress Foundation/Bed Sofa with Headboard, Twin,...||1,372 Reviews||$122.63||Buy Now|
|2||VECELO Premium Daybed Metal Bed Frame Twin Size Steel Slat Support/Strong Legs Headboard/Mattress...||805 Reviews||$129.99||Buy Now|
|3||Alaterre Furniture Harmony Wood Daybed, Single, White Brazilian Pine Trundle Bed for Sleepovers with...||51 Reviews||$609.95 $431.32||Buy Now|
|4||Novogratz Her Majesty Upholstered Daybed and Trundle, Twin Over Twin, Grey Linen||834 Reviews||$417.99 $341.99||Buy Now|
|5||HJhomeheart Metal Twin Daybed Frames with Headboard, Metal Bed Frames for Mattress (Not Include),...||50 Reviews||$102.99||Buy Now|
|6||VECELO Daybed, Metal Twin Bed Frame with Headboard, Heavy Duty Steel Slats Support for Living Room...||476 Reviews||$109.79||Buy Now|
The two shorter sides of the daybed serve as armrests and the back long side serves as the backboard.
Read detailed reviews of best day beds.
Where to best use a daybed
Going by its definition, a daybed is a multifunction furniture asset that one should possess, it can be placed almost anywhere in the house ranging from lounges, offices, studio apartments and many more.
The day bed really saves on space, it supplements the purpose of a sofa where the sofa set seat cannot fit. It also supplements the purpose of a bed where the bed cannot fit.
Daybeds can also double up as baby beds, they are easier to manage as compared to usual baby beds when it comes to dressing and decorating. They also provide a sense of uniqueness and perfect place to lounge with friends.
Another place where daybeds can serve the purpose better is outdoors in your backyard, sunroof or in your deck.
Daybeds occupy a smaller space and serve two functions, thereby becoming economical on space and can also save on cash.
Daybeds present easiness of life, you can easily transition between sleep, power naps casual meetings and a hang out with a friend or friends with daybeds.
|1||DHP Franklin Mid Century Upholstered, Full Size, Navy Linen Daybed, Blue||1,597 Reviews||$270.81||Buy Now|
|2||Merax Full Size Daybed Wood Sofa Bed, White||2 Reviews||$204.00||Buy Now|
|3||Lifeand Full Size Daybed with Foldable Shelves on Both Sides,Wooden Sofa Bed for Bedroom Living...||$242.69||Buy Now|
Daybeds also serve as good reading spots, when reading you want an easy place where you can rest, continue reading and rest again without much movement.
Convert unused beds into a daybed
A daybed need not to cost you an arm and a leg, you can easily convert an unused bed into a daybed.
If you do not have one, you can get it at various outlets vending second hand items at an affordable price.
When choosing an unused bed to convert into a daybed, consider the size. Choose standard sizes because the mattresses are standardized in size.
If you have to work with that which is not standard in size, there is still hope. You will have to customize the form to get the right size for you.
Converting your unused bed into a daybed
Consider the following important steps:
- Evaluate the bed size and height
Considering that a daybed doubles up as a couch, consider the height of the bed and the sitting size for comfort. A twin bed serves the purpose because of its size and then it is simple to tuck in the bed sheets.
Remember that choosing a bigger bed means using many pillows to cover up the extra space. You might also consider the space where you will place the daybed. This will determine the kind of bed you would work with.
A bigger bed means a bigger daybed which translates to a bigger space in your garden, office or studio apartment.
- Check the stabilization of the bed
Since the daybed serves both as a bed and sofa, stability is key. You do not want your daybed to be moving around the room each time it is in use.
Some beds come on caster wheels; you may consider cupping the wheels to make the daybed stable. Depending on where you are using your daybed, decoration should be in sync with the purpose.
- See the best matching decoration for the daybed
Depending on where you are using your daybed, decoration should be in sync with the purpose.
A quick example is if you are using your daybed in the bedroom where most of the time it will be used as a bed.
Your choice of beddings will have to be in sync with the bedroom use as opposed to when you are using the daybed in your office, the decor has to be subtle and appealing to guests. If your bed had a decorated frame, this already sets the type of decor you have to meet.
You may need to change the fabric used on the headboard and footboard frames to your choice of fabric, color and texture or work with it the way it is. Consider syncing your decor with the surround all the time to create harmony.
Before you get to work, ensure you have the right tools to execute your work efficiently.
Tools you will require to convert bed to a daybed
- The tape measure; This is used to take measurements from one point to the other.
- Cutting saw; this can be a manual saw or an electric saw.
- Drill; this is used to drill holes on timber.
- DCD771 in cordless drill combo kit features 2 speed transmission (0-450 / 0-1500...
- DCD771 high performance motor of cordless tools combo kit delivers 300 unit...
- DCD771 compact, lightweight design of the drill/ impact driver combo kit fits...
- Marker; when taking your measurements, you need to mark the areas of interest or work. Get something that will help marking your spots of interest after taking measurements
- Sander: raw timber needs to be smoothened and given an even surface for a final smooth finish. The sander is used to smoothen the wood surface to achieve this.
- Sanding paper – it does the sanding too, depending on the type of finish you want to achieve and the type of surface you are working on, you may need several sanding papers to achieve your goal.
- 2.3 AMP motor of the electric sander sands at 14,000 OPM
- Rubber overmold texture will provide a smooth and comfortable control while...
- Improved paper clamp of the 1/4 sheet sander features for better paper retention
- Painting brush; Brushes come in different sizes, choosing the right size that is ideal for your work will be a great deal. 3 inches to 5 inches brush will serve well in this case. Check best furniture paint brush here.
- Screwdriver; This will be used to screw the backboard to the headboard and the footboard. You can have an electric or manual screwdriver. In some cases, the hand drill can serve both cases if you have the right converting parts to enable the hand drill to become an electric screwdriver.
- Screws; The commonly used timber for the backboard is 1 inch thick. You would require screws longer than 1 inch to attach the backboard to the headboard and footboard frames. 2 inches screws would be adequate for this work.
- Protective gears; you may need the following protective gears for safety while working.
- Hand Gloves; to protect your hands.
- Goggles; to protect your eyes
- Helmet; To protect your head.
- Working boots; to protect your feet.
- An overall; This protects your entire body against dirt and accidents.
Remember!!! Safety first.
Below are simple steps to follow to convert your unused bed into a daybed.
- By use of the tape measure, take the measurements of the bed from the outside edge of the headboard to the outside edge of the footboard.
- Take the measurement of the rise of the headboard and the footboard above the mattress. Most beds have the headboard rising above the mattress more than the footboard. If this is the case, then do some modifications. The headboard and footboard rise mostly ranges between 18 to 24 inches.
- Make the backing board: Cut one or two boards the same distance as the distance between the headboard and footboard. The board should be able to support the back of the daybed, preferably 1 inch by 6 inches (19mm by 40mm) lumber. You can use one board if your vertical height is limited and two boards if you have more vertical space.
- Using a drilling machine, drill two pilot holes at the end of the headboard bearing in mind that the holes will fit into the edge of the headboard and footboard. Mark the position of the backing board. If the headboard and footboard have equal height, mark equal distances from the top, but if they have different heights, take your measurements from the bottom.
- Mark the position of the backing boards on the headboard and footboard by drawing the lines where the board will be positioned. Using the pilot marks on the backing board, mark their positions on the edges of the headboard and footboard then drill pilot holes for the wood screws. Remember to leave equal space between the backing boards if you are fixing two of them. This is a principle of design.
- Sand and stain the backing board. To get a good smooth finish, start with a power sander to do most of the sanding then finish up with a finer grit type of sanding paper. Try to achieve fine and soft edges. Following the stipulated procedure of staining the board, stain the board to achieve the finish exhibited by the headboard and the footboard. Follow the number of coats recommended when staining the backboard then leave it to dry.
- Screw the backing board into the marked spaces using the wood screws. Use two screws on each end to secure the backing board into the headboard and the footboard.
Your daybed is ready for use, decorate it with pillows to offer the comfort you want.
In a case where your bed does not have a headboard or a footboard, there are several ways of going around it.
- Place the bed against the wall so that one wall serves as a backboard. Then add two side tables on the side. The side tables serve as arm rests so they should be made to the height of an arm rest. The height of arm rest is usually 5 inches to 8 inches. The armrests averagely protrude 4 inches to 8 inches.
- Alternatively make a backboard and the two side tables then your daybed is ready for use. Make sure the tables are the height of an armrest height.
Last update on 2023-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API